School Readiness Committee
The School Readiness Committee includes the child care and early education component of the Ionia County great Start Collaborative board.
The School Readiness Board provides a forum for early child care and education initiatives that support Ionia County parents’ increased understanding of the importance of their children’s early learning opportunities.
Chair: Amy Opperman Vice Chair: Sally Kapteyn
Scope of Work: What we hope to accomplish?
- Promote and expand joint recruitment opportunities and community partners to increase countywide preschool attendance.
- Promote affordability by continuing Starfish Preschool Scholarship program
- Increase number of 3 and 4 year olds attending quality preschool programs
- Create tools to support transitions between preschool and kindergarten programming to strengthen the early Childhood system in Ionia County.
- Develop county wide annual Professional Development schedule that provides free and low cost trainings for parents and providers to improve quality of early education experiences
- Promote ICGSC website calendar for comprehensive early childhood training & activity information to expand availability to preschool caregivers
- Partner with Regional Resource Center to provide local, quality training opportunities and supports
- Establish the 0-3 Community of Practice to improve Quality of early education components in Ionia through a network focused on quality.
- Improve referrals and partnerships with early childhood providers to assure children that need special education service have access to preschool programming to support their needs with quality early childhood programs.
- Continue to provide Welcome Home baby packets in the community to offer families’ first connection to school readiness supports
- Coordinate Preschool Partnership activities to increase access and awareness of school readiness supports available in the community for families.
- Promote and support literacy through in- home programs (i.e. Dolly Parton Imagination Library, ready kits, Literacy Council, donation programs) to encourage parent engagement and learning for children.
- Facilitate collaboration to increase evidence based playgroup activities.
News/ Related Resources:
Early Childhood Investment Corporation Quality Rating and Improvement System
Early Childhood Programs @ Ionia County ISD
Dolly Parton Imagination Library @ Ionia County ISD